Friday, September 5, 2008

Well, this is weird...

"Normal" for the accounting position is a 40 hour week, roughly 9 to 5. The hours are somewhat flexible, but the amount of them was definitely 40 unless I needed to take off for a doctor's appointment. So when we hit slow season this summer, I still had 40 hours while other departments were getting cut...until about 6 weeks ago. Now I get 32 hours a week if I plot for it, but at least I get Fridays off.

So I'm going into work today to help out with a weird scheduling conflict. I'm working a mid shift in my old position but at my current pay (score!), which means I don't get the extra day off but I will get the normal paycheck (pretty much). With my birthday coming up and The Force Unleashed coming out sooner than that, a little extra cash is not a bad thing to be had. I don't buy my own gifts, but my wife has a list. :-) Hey, she asked for one!

My friend Aarik was one of the front office managers in my hotel, and he died on his birthday this year, so it will be really weird to go back to work on a busy day without him there. He was one of those people that energized the room whenever he was in it, and we still get repeat guests asking about him. I guess I'm just preparing myself for a weird day in general because it will be essentially the same job but with an entirely different group of people.

Anyway, gotta get ready!

No comments: