Sunday, February 15, 2009

Snow Day

I actually have a decent amount to write about, but one quick entry is all I have the time or energy for at the moment. It's been a busy weekend so far, and thankfully I have Monday (President's Day) off! Yay!!!

Yesterday was fun. We went to the VNSA book sale (a big annual event) out in Phoenix where I spent a surprisingly reasonable amount of money on books; my forgotten neglected love. My parents, my friend Andrew, my sister Susan, and her friend all went (although we split up upon arrival for convenience) and much fun was had. That night my in laws came over and my father in law (Al) helped me with a few household projects (such as repairing the doorbell) before my mother in law (Dianna) arrived with their Christmas present to each other: a Wii.

We played it for some time. Video game connoisseur that I am it was the first time I had ever played one and I enjoyed it immensely. They decided to leave it with me for a while since they will be busy for at least a couple of days anyway, which I had no problem with at all.

So today I went with my friends Travis and Kim and their little niece Riley so the littlest one could see snow for the first time. It was fun to do something totally random and fun for a change although I know it probably disappointed my dad that I wasn't in church today. Today is one year since my grandfather's death, but I did at least give him (my dad) the message I wouldn't be coming. I promised to say a special prayer that day, although I said it for my dad and not for my grandfather as I think my dad had meant. My dad's beliefs are definitely an amalgam of his Catholic upbringing and our current church, but I think the important thing is his heart is in the right place.

Anyway, we hit the road about 9:45 or so (after some delays not worth mentioning) and eventually stopped for the snow outside of the Pine-Strawberry area on the Pine trailhead, which was nice because it was safe. You can find the pictures on my Picasa page here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rainchaserknight. It's the new album called "Snow Day." We had a lot of fun overall and I am so glad Travis invited me. It made me realize I need to do more things like that; I used to have a lot more fun when I was random. As I've grown older I've gotten a lot more structured and afraid and that's made me a lot more unhappy. I think I need to work on that.

We stopped in Payson on the way back and saw Travis' grandparents. Considering what day it is for me that made me a little sad but I didn't say anything. I never had much of a relationship with my mom's father or any relationship with her mother (she died before my time), and my relationship with my father's parents (it being his dad in question) is similar, although I did know them better. His dad did at least get to come to my wedding before he died, which was very pleasing. When I can find a picture I will put one up under the family album on Picasa. Anyway, Abigail and Matt and Travis all still have living grand parents (Andrew too, actually) that they have a relationship with, and that's something I am jealous of. Barring something horrible my children will get to have that and I am very grateful, but sad because that's something I missed out on.

Wow, this turned out to be longer than I thought! Anyway, hope to have more time tomorrow; I have a bit more to write about. Friday was kind of interesting as well, and I've just had some things on my mind I'd like to get down here. Hope all is well with you, and that someone out there is reading this.

All the best,

-Scott

No comments: